I recently found this AMAZING chickpea and lentil soup recipe on www.bbcgoodfood.com. I’ve made one or two adjustments to suit the ingredients we use in SA, but I can honestly say this is one of the simplest and tastiest soups I have made! And filled with stacks of healthy, fibre filled ingredients. It doesn’t get much better than this!
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- large pinch chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 140g red split lentils
- 850ml vegetable stock or water
- 400g can tomatoes, whole or chopped
- 200g or ½ a can, rinsed and drained
- small bunch coriander, roughly chopped (save a few leaves, to serve)
- 4 tbsp fat-free plain yoghurt, to serve
- Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas
- Add the oil and onion, and cook for 5 mins. Stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes, then bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have softened
- Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until it is a rough purÃ©e, pour back into the pan and add the chickpeas
- Heat gently, season well and stir in the coriander. Finish with a dollop of yoghurt and coriander leaves.
Contact Toni Smyth, Dietician’s in Cape Town for more delicious recipe’s or to have a custom made meal plan designed to suit your specific needs!