Here are a few reasons why sweet potatoes are considered a Super Food:
- Their natural sugars are slowly released into the bloodstream, helping to ensure a balanced and regular source of energy, without the blood sugar spikes linked to fatigue and weight gain.
- They are rich in carotenoids, the precursor to vitamin A. Carotenoids help
strengthen our eyesight and boost our immunity to disease, they are powerful
antioxidants that help ward off cancer and protect against the effects of ageing.
- They are high in vitamin B6 which has been shown to help in the prevention of heart attacks.
- They are a good source of vitamin C which keeps your body strong and has an important role in bone and tooth formation, digestion, and blood cell formation.
- They contain Vitamin D which is critical for the immune system and overall health, helping to build healthy bones and teeth.
- They contain iron. Iron plays an important role in red and white blood cell production, stress management, proper immune function and protein metabolism.
Sweet potatoes are incredibly versatile, add them to soups and stews for a hearty winter seal, Roast them and garnish with coriander and sweet chilli sauce, or use them in any way that you would use normal potatoes!