The number one rule of a healthy shop is this: Don’t shop on an empty stomach!
In order to save money and ensure a healthy shop, stick to the following guidelines:
- Do a weekly grocery shop, twice weekly for fresh produce
- Plan meals for the week and write a shopping list accordingly
- Stick to what’s on the list!
- Pack chicken, meat and fish into the right size portions and freeze in freezer bags
- Choose low-fat dairy products and proteins, complex carbs and healthy fats
- Buy healthy snacks such as fresh or dried fruit, lean biltong, wholegrain crackers and cereal bars instead of chocolates and sweets
- Cross compare labels to ensure you are choosing the best product in the range
Try one new product or recipe a week to introduce some variety